Thursday, April 11, 2013

Lemon and Ricotta Sweet Cheese Pastries


A short and sweet post today as I'm up to my ears with unexpected freelance work and freaky deadlines this week.
Luckily I have these beautiful little sugar pastries to keep me happy!

They're so quick and easy to make and although they might not be the most nutritionally-packed things you could shovel into your mouth, they certainly make a good stress reliever!

I've very loosely based the recipe of these little cuties on a traditional Greek recipe for "Melitinia" which are small, sweet tarts filled with a soft cheese and baked. My version uses filo pastry, is deep fried, and totally addictive.


Lemon and Ricotta Sweet Cheese Pastries


Makes about 40

Ingredients

  • 300g ricotta cheese
  • 1 packet of filo pastry
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 100g castor sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • Oil for deep frying
  • Icing sugar for dusting

Instructions

  1. Place the ricotta, 1 teaspoon of lemon zest, egg, castor sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon to combine.
  2. Using a round cookie cutter, approximately 10cm diameter, cut the filo pastry into circles.
  3. Spoon about of teaspoon of the cheese mixture onto one half of each pastry round.
  4. Moisten the edges of the pastry with a little water, fold in half and press to seal.
  5. To make them pretty, use a crimped pastry wheel to trim the edges and create a ruffled edge.
  6. Deep fry the pastries in oil until puffed and golden, around 2 or 3 minutes, then drain on paper towels.

These little babies are best eaten when warm, dusted with icing sugar and lemon zest. Mine have now gone cold and a little soggy but I'm still more than happy to keep shovelling them into my mouth!



6 comments:

  1. you make such beautiful food, lisa, and these are no exception. they look perfectly delicious and perfectly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Caitlin. They're all gone now.. I might have to make some more :)

      Delete
  2. These are so pretty Lisa. I have often made fried filo pastries and they never look as pretty as these, I will have to buy a pastry cutter i love the frills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny! Yes those pastry cutters are very handy little things! Mine's just a cheap $10 version but it certainly does the job!

      Delete
  3. Although I will always love chocolate, as I get older, I find that I often prefer lemon pastries. Even when they're not lighter, somehow the bright flavor of lemon makes them seem that way. :) I think I could eat a dozen of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, a lemony sweet pastry is so bright and fresh and can be devoured in much larger quantities than chocolate! (well, actually, I might have to experiment with that!)

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comments and feedback.

To leave a comment, please choose your profile account from the dropdown menu below. If you don't have a profile account, you can use the "Anonymous" option but please remember to sign your name at the end of your comment so I know who you are.

Thanks and hear from you soon!